- 1 WI Wisconsin Tax Refund Status
- 2 How To Check The Status Of Your Federal And State Income Tax Return
- 2.1 When Is Information About Your Refund Available?
- 2.2 Taxpayer Options For Checking Federal Tax Refund Status
- 2.3 What If You Have Moved Or Changed Your Address Since You Filed?
- 2.4 What If Your Refund Wasn't Sent Because Of An Error On Your Return?
- 2.5 Taxpayer Options For Checking State Income Tax Refund Status
WI Wisconsin Tax Refund Status
You can check the status of your Wisconsin Tax Refund online at the Wisconsin Dept of Revenue website. You will need to know
- Exact Tax ID Number (SSN)
- Amount of Refund Requested when filing Individual Income Tax. Please be advised that this application can only be used for inquires related to Individual Income Refunds.
Or call Wisconsin State Tax Commission at 1-608-266-8100 (Madison, WI), 1-414-227-4907 Milwaukee, WI or 1-866-WIS-RFND (in other areas)
How To Check The Status Of Your Federal And State Income Tax Return
I f you're one of those folks who have a simple tax situation and have already filed your tax returns, you're likely waiting expectantly for the government to process your return and send the money you're owed.
So how can you find out what the status of your tax refund is and when you might get your check?
If you filed with a software like TurboTax, you're probably going to hear within a couple of days whether your return was accepted and a refund processed.
If your software doesn't automatically let you know, however, there are other options for finding out the status of your return.
When Is Information About Your Refund Available?
72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of the return that you e-filed, you can go to the IRS site and check the status of your tax return. If you filed a paper return you will have to wait up to four weeks.
If you filed right on or a couple of days before tax day you may still have a few days to wait. In any event, you should make sure that you have a copy of your tax return available when checking on your refund, you'll need information from the return when checking the refund status.
Taxpayer Options For Checking Federal Tax Refund Status
When checking the status of your refund you have a few different options, including some new Iphone and Android apps this year.
- Get the new IRS iPhone app called IRS2Go. It allows Apple enthusiasts to check their refund status wherever they are. Download to itunes here.
- Get the new IRS Android app called IRS2Go. It also allows Android users to check their tax refund status. Details on the app here.
- Go to the IRS website and click on “Where’s My Refund“. It will ask you for your social security number, your filing status and the refund amount you were expecting.
- Call 1-800-829-4477 (24 hours a day, seven days a week for automated refund information)
- Call 1-800-829-1954 during the hours shown in your tax form instructions.
What If You Have Moved Or Changed Your Address Since You Filed?
If your refund was returned to the IRS by the U.S. Postal Service you may be able to change the address they have on file for you, online. The Where's My Refund? tool will offer this service to you if you're eligible. If you made a move after you filed your return you were expecting a refund via snail mail, you should file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Services and also send in a copy of Form 8822, Change of Address to the Internal Revenue Service.
What If Your Refund Wasn't Sent Because Of An Error On Your Return?
An error in filing your return could result in you not receiving your refund right away. If when you check you find an error has stopped you from receiving your refund you can correct your return by filing an a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Once you have done that you should be back on track to receive your refund.
I'm not sure if I'll be getting a refund or not this year as our situation is a bit complicated. We'll see once I actually file. Since I will most likely be using TurboTax to file this year again I'm sure my return was filed and accepted within 24 hours like it was last year.
If you're expecting a refund e-filing is probably the best route to go.
Taxpayer Options For Checking State Income Tax Refund Status
Each state has a different place to check refund status, while some won't allow you to do it online. Find your state in the table below to check your refund status.